Mike Harland joined Thom Rainer on a recent podcast to discuss worship as discipleship.
Some highlights from the episode include:
- Discipleship is something that should be passed from generation to generation in our families.
- The most quoted book of the Bible is the book of Psalms.
- Every spiritual discipline you can think of is represented in at least one psalm.
- Music should be used as a tool to help us make disciples in the church.
- Music is the most powerful discipleship tool God has given us.
- In many churches, worship ministry is more performance-based than discipleship-based.
The four topics they cover related to worship as discipleship are:
- The Biblical Model of Discipleship
- The Bible without the Psalms
- Music and Memory
- Concentric Circles of DiscipleMaking in Worship Ministry
Download (Duration: 24:57 — 23.0 MB)
This article was originally published at ThomRainer.com on July 12, 2016. Thom S. Rainer serves as president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Among his greatest joys are his family: his wife Nellie Jo; three sons, Sam, Art, and Jess; and nine grandchildren. Dr. Rainer can be found on Twitter @ThomRainer and at facebook.com/Thom.S.Rainer.
About Mike Harland
Mike Harland grew up in Mississippi, graduated from Delta State University and New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, and has led churches in worship leadership roles for most of his life. Since 2005, Mike has served as the Director of LifeWay Worship, the music arm of LifeWay Christian Resources. He is a published author and songwriter who sings and speaks nationally and internationally. Mike and his wife Teresa serve in the children’s, discipleship, and worship ministries of Brentwood Baptist Church and live in Franklin, Tennessee. They have three grown children – Lee, Elizabeth, and John.