New Partnership Brings Wealth of Assistance to NC Baptist Churches in Copyright Compliance

on May 2 | in Copyright, Uncategorized | by | with 2 Comments

Copyright compliance can be overwhelming for most church leaders. Obtaining proper licenses for compliance is often a confusing, difficult and time-consuming process. With that in mind, the Baptist State Convention of North Carolina is partnering with CopyrightSolver by Christian Copyright Solutions (CCS) to provide churches with the answers and resources they need. CopyrightSolver’s goal in this partnership is to make copyrights simple for North Carolina Baptist churches.
Christian Copyright Solutions (CCS) was launched in 2001 out of a desire to provide online solutions to simplify the copyright clearance process. Since that time they have helped more than 2,000 churches and ministries become copyright compliant, ranging from small local churches to some of the largest churches in the country, including many SBC churches.

One major benefit of the North Carolina Baptists/CopyrightSolver partnership is a 10%-15% discount on CopyrightSolver blanket licenses and services. In addition, churches have access to a customized landing page for North Carolina Baptists, which provides educational resources and a phone hotline for church leaders to talk to a Copyright Solver and ask specific questions.

“We are thrilled to develop a long-term partnership with North Carolina Baptists,” says CCS/CVO founder, Susan Fontaine Godwin. “We look forward to providing discounts and solutions for the convention’s churches that will help them in their commitment to honor copyrights.”

Copyright compliance is a constantly changing, complex topic, and CopyrightSolver emphasizes keeping churches educated and informed. They stay current on industry changes and constantly update their website to reflect these changes. In addition, they offer a wealth of free educational resources including fact sheets, videos, idea kits, knowledge base, CopyrightCommunity blog and webinars.

In addition, CopyrightSolver will provide updates announcing new tools and information in newsletters and emails throughout this partnership.

U.S Copyright law (section 110[3]) states that churches (along with any religious organization) do not have to get permission to perform or play music (or a non-dramatic literary work) during a religious service at a place of worship or other religious assembly. Beyond the exemption, they must secure licensing for ANY use of ANY copyrighted works in most cases.

To obtain permissions, churches can either go directly to each copyright holder each time a copyrighted work is used, or they can purchase a blanket license. Blanket licenses allow churches to use a specific catalog of copyrights for specific activities for one year. Several blanket licenses are available for different uses. One license does not cover all of a church’s copyright activity. For example, the CCLI, CVLI, PERFORMmusic and WORSHIPcast licenses each offer different coverage in different areas of compliance.

Many churches mistakenly believe that if they have one license, they are covered. This is rarely the case. Churches need to look at their specific uses of copyrighted material and make sure they are compliant in each area. Most churches require a “mosaic” of blanket license coverage.

To learn more or to ask specific copyright compliance questions, please visit the North Carolina Baptists landing page at or call CopyrightSolver at (877) 947-9687.

# # #

CCS’s Founder and CVO, Susan Fontaine Godwin is an educator and long-time member of the Christian arts community with 26 years of experience in the Christian media industry, church copyright administration and copyright management. Susan is an author and speaker and frequently writes for several Christian magazines and online publications.

More on copyright compliance and the church.

Pin It

2 Responses

  1. Bill Worley says:

    Help me understand.

    I’ve been on our Deacon board for some time now to purchase the CCLI license because we copy lyrics to our newer praise and worship music in our bulletin.

    Yet one of the paragraphs above says that churches do not need permission for this as long as it’s part of a service in the church building.

    So which is it?

    For a small 50 member church, that $100+ dollars could be used in other areas if we are ok according to the law.


    • Kenny Lamm says:

      Great question. The clarification here is that the law states: churches “do not have to get permission to perform or play music (or a non-dramatic literary work) during a religious service at a place of worship or other religious assembly.” You can perform the music without a license, but if you want to print the words in the bulletin, project the lyrics on screen, record your worship services and more, you must have the CCLI license. To clarify what you can and cannot do with the CCLI license, read my post on that topic here.. For more on copyright, take a look here. Thanks for reading.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Answer Math Problem *

« »

Scroll to top